- Calories: 80
- Protein: 3 g
- Total Fat: 2.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 11 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0 g
- Total Sugar: 2 g
- Natural Sugar: 2 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 290 mg
These scrumptious and spicy vegan poppers are a perfect snack or app. Make ‘em deliciously mild by skipping the cayenne and removing all jalapeño seeds before adding your filling…or turn up the heat by mixing in the cayenne and a few reserved jalapeño seeds into the hummus. Whichever direction your tastebuds take you, I suggest scaling the recipe wayyyy up if you’re serving a hungry crowd!
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 6 Tablespoons prepared hummus
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion (green onion)
- ⅓ cup corn, frozen and thawed (or canned, drained well)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or paprika for less heat)
- 4 medium Jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds and membranes removed (for extra heat, keep membranes in)
- ⅓ cup Panko bread crumbs*
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
* Use dairy-free panko breadcrumbs for vegan poppers.
Preheat oven to 350˚.
In a small bowl, mix hummus, scallion, corn, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (or paprika). Spoon generous amount of hummus mix into the hollowed-out pepper.
In another small bowl or, mix panko bread crumbs, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper (or paprika). Dunk the hummus side of each pepper into the seasoned panko mix so there’s a generous amount of coating on each pepper top. If there’s any leftover, you can distribute among the pepper tops to use up all of the panko bread crumbs.
Place stuffed peppers (cut side up) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, liberally mist tops with olive oil spray, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The bread crumbs should be browned and toasty. Let cool for a few minutes, and dig in!
A serving is 2 poppers.
Try these delicious recipes: Lentil Hummus, Skinny 7 Layer Bean Dip and Spinach Artichoke Dip!
Nutrition analysis courtesy of Genesis® R&D