- Calories: 90
- Protein: 7g
- Total Carbohydrate: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sodium: 160mg
Starting your dinner with a veggie-filled soup can help take the edge off hunger and curb overeating during your meal. Try this tasty bowl to kick off your dinner.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 3 cups roughly chopped cabage
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 of the following seasoning combos:
- Spicy Creole:
(2 teaspoons basil, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon each black pepper and oregano, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon thyme)
(2 teaspoons each dried parsley and basil, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon each thyme, sage, and black pepper)
- Garden Herbs:
(2 tablespoons chopped thyme, 1/4 cup each freshly chopped parsley and basil)
- Spicy Creole:
In a large, nonstick stock pot coated with cooking spray, sauté 4 teaspoons minced garlic, 1 cup diced onion and 8 ounces sliced mushrooms over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until tender.
Add 8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock, 1 cup sliced carrots, 2 cups diced zucchini, 1 cup chopped green beans, 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets, 3 cups roughly chopped cabage, 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes and 3 bay leaves.
Choose one of the following three seasoning mixes:
• Spicy Creole: 2 teaspoons basil, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon thyme
• Italian: 2 teaspoons dried parsley, 2 teaspoons basil, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon sage, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• Garden Herbs: 2 tablespoons chopped thyme, 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley, 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
If using Spicy Creole or Italian, add to pot now. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
Add 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar) and cook for an additional 2 minutes. If you’ve chosen the Garden Herbs seasoning blend, add it now. Remove the bay leaves before serving or freezing.
Yields 12 cups or six portions (2 cups each)