- Calories: 80
- Protein: 6 g
- Total Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 40 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 7g
- Dietary Fiber: 1 g
- Total Sugar: 5 g
- Natural Sugar: 5 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 250 mg
Whether you scoop on the stuffing or dole out the dressing, this classic holiday side dish is something we all look forward to. Welcome to this scrumptious spin: it cuts the calories and carbs while boosting protein, fiber, and health-promoting nutrients. You’ll probably want to have seconds… and that’s a good thing!
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 12 ounces pre-cooked poultry-apple sausage, chopped or sliced
- • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (~1.5 cups)
- • 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (~1 cup)
- • 2 celery stalks, chopped
- • 1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, roughly chopped
- • 4 cups riced cauliflower
- • 1 apple (skin on), finely chopped
- • 2 Tablespoons minced fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- • 2 Tablespoons minced fresh sage (or 2 teaspoons dried sage)
- • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- • 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- • 2 large eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 350˚.
Liberally coat a large pot with oil spray (be sure to use a large pot as the contents will be too overflowing for a skillet.) Add sausage pieces and cook until nicely seared and caramelized. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Reapply oil spray to pot. Add onion, pepper, and celery and sauté for 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add cauliflower rice, apple, thyme, sage, salt, and sausage. Mix well to combine everything and cook for 3 more minutes. Turn off the heat.
Add butter and mix through. Add eggs and mix through.
Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking pan that has been misted with oil spray and bake in oven for 40 to 50 minutes until top is browned.
Serving size: ½ cup