- Calories: 290 calories
- Protein: 28 g
- Total Fat: 16 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 85 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4 g
- Total Sugar: 1 g
- Natural Sugar: 1 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 530 mg
Top simple poached chicken with a tasty avocado sauce for an elegant dinner that you can just as easily whip up on a weekday as you can for company on a weekend. Moist, tender and flavorful, this chicken dish will quickly become a family favorite.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Zest from one full lemon
- Sprig parsley or basil leaf
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ black pepper
- Parchment paper or aluminum foil
- 1 ripe California avocado
- 3 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- ¼ cup fresh dill, minced or chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced or chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, minced or chopped
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Reduced-sodium vegetable broth or stock (start with ½ cup and continue to increase until you get a nice, smooth sauce-like consistency in the blender)
For the chicken:
Preheat oven to 400˚.
Put all ingredients in a bowl and toss together. Using an oven tray as a base, make a package or “well” with the parchment paper. Gently place the chicken in, add a splash of water, broth, or wine (whichever you prefer), and close the package tightly.
Place in oven for 25 to 35 minutes (take them out at 20 minutes to make sure you don’t overcook; cooking them for the right amount of time is what makes them tender).
For the avocado sauce:
Blend everything together until completely smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
To serve, remove chicken from the parchment package when fully cooked. Slice (or however you’d like to serve) and let it sit in the sauce while it’s still nice and warm to suck up the flavors. Reserve some sauce for serving. Add a dollop of the sauce on a plate and place the chicken on top. Add avocado sauce on top of each chicken breast and serve.
Nutrition analysis courtesy of Genesis® R&D