- Calories: 280
- Protein: 11 g
- Total Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 185 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 53 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5 g
- Total Sugar: 34 g
- Natural Sugar: 21 g
- Added Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 200 mg
When apple pie meets French toast, well, that’s a good morning! This recipe cooks up in a single dish in the microwave, so it’s easy-peasy prep and an even easier cleanup—the formula for a perfect a.m. meal. It’s best to use day-old bread to maintain its sturdy texture, as a super-fresh slice will become ultra-soft when it absorbs the egg (albeit, it’ll still taste delicious). The flavor truly does resemble yummy pie filling; Soft, sweet apples mingled with warm cinnamon and a touch of brown sugar… I mean what’s not to love?!
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 1 apple, finely diced, skin on
- • 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to taste
- • 1 slice whole-grain bread, cut into small cubes*
- • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- • Pinch of Kosher salt
- • Optional toppings: Whipped cream, maple syrup
* Sturdier bread works best. If your bread is super soft, I suggest leaving a few slices out of the package overnight to firm up.
Mix chopped apple with brown sugar and cinnamon in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute and stir. Add the bread cubes and egg, then stir to combine everything in the bowl. Add a pinch of kosher salt and a dash of extra ground cinnamon or apple pie spice, if desired. Place back in the microwave for 90 seconds or until the egg is cooked.
Garnish with an optional squirt of whipped cream or a drizzle of maple syrup and dig in!