- Calories: 348
- Protein: 36g
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Sodium: 440mg
Contains Red Meat
Don’t let the long list of ingredients put you off — the prep is simple, the taste is sublime. And how many do recipes you know that deliver almost the entire alphabet of vitamins and minerals, from vitamin A to zinc?
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder sweet
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, Kosher plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, black ground plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, cayenne
- oil spray
- 1 pork, tenderloin (1 to 1 ½ pounds), cut into 4 steaks
- 2 tablespoon oil, olive
- 1 large onion(s), red thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) broth, chicken, less sodium fat-free, up to 1/2 cup
- 1 can(s) peas, black-eyed, canned (16 ounces) drained and rinsed
- 1 small cauliflower head cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs, whole-wheat, coarse, dried
- 2 tablespoon parsley, flat-leaf minced fresh
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 tablespoon lemon, juice, fresh
In a small bowl, combine the sweet chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Spray the pork with oil spray. Rub the spice mixture over the surface of the meat. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
Coat a large skillet with oil spray. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1⁄4 cup broth and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally and adding more broth as needed to keep the onion from burning, 15 to 20 minutes, until the onion is a deep caramel color. Stir in the black-eyed peas and set aside.
In a steamer or saucepan with a lid, steam the cauliflower over 1 inch of water until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. In a bowl, mix the bread crumbs, parsley, lemon zest, and juice. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the cauliflower.
Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat. Add the tenderloin steaks and reduce the heat to medium-high. Cook, turning once, until the steaks are browned and the centers are no longer translucent pink, 7 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately with the onion mixture and cauliflower.