- Calories: 205
- Protein: 12g
- Total Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Total Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 590mg
Hosting a party? These grilled cheese bruschettas are a fun and fancy appetizer. You can make different versions to satisfy all your guests’ tastes. For instance, these Cheddar Cheese Toasts with Spiced Tomato Chutney and these Mozzarella Cheese Toast with Spinach and Herb Pistou.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bunch collard greens (about 8 ounces), ribs removed and thinly julienned
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat jalapeno cheddar cheese
- 1 cups (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 jar (4 ounces) pimentos, drained and finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 container (6 ounces) nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 whole-wheat or multigrain baguette (1 pound, 11 oz), cut diagnoally into ½-inch-thick slices (about 30 slices)
FOR THE CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Coat a large sauté pan with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onions, 1 teaspoon salt and sauté over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, or until very soft, golden brown and sweet. Set aside.
(Makes ½ cup)
FOR THE COLLARD GREENS
Coat a large sauté pan with cooking spray over medium heat. Add minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add collard greens, 1 teaspoon salt and sauté over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until completely wilted. Set aside.
(Makes ¾ cup)
FOR THE PIMENTO CHEESE
Mix jalapeno cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, chopped pimentos, cayenne pepper, Greek yogurt and ¼ teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl and stir.
(Makes about 2 cups)
FOR THE TOASTS
Meanwhile, arrange the oven rack to right under the heat source, and preheat oven to 450˚. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the slices of baguette on the sheet. Spray with cooking spray and toast for 5 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.
To assemble, top each toast slice with 1½ teaspoons of pimento cheese and place back in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until melted. Top with ½ teaspoon of sautéed collard greens and ¼ teaspoon of caramelized onions and serve.