- Calories: 235
- Protein: 22 g
- Total Fat:6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 45 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 24 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7 g
- Total Sugar: 6 g
- Natural Sugar: 6 g
- Added Sugar:0 g
- Sodium: 410 mg
Chilly weather means chili weather (am I right?). If you’re looking for new ways to enjoy a beloved classic, add this white bean rendition to the menu. I’m obsessed with its smoky flavor, hearty texture and easy prep…it has become one of my go-to winter recipes. Personalize with your favorite toppers—think light sour cream, cilantro, avocado and salsa—then buckle in for some comfort food heaven.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- • 1 medium bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange), diced
- • 2 stalks of celery, chopped (optional)
- • 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- • 1⅓ pounds ground turkey or chicken (between 90 to 93% lean)
- • 2 cans (15 ounces each) white beans, drained and rinsed
- • 1 can (28 ounces) “oven-roasted” diced tomatoes with liquid
- • ¼ cup tomato paste
- • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- • 2 tablespoons chili powder
- • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- • 1 teaspoon salt
- • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- • 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- • Avocado
- • Nonfat plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream
- • Cilantro
- • Salsa
*Skip if you’re sensitive to heat or increase to ½ teaspoon if you prefer super-spicy.
Liberally coat a large pot or Dutch oven with oil spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery, if desired, and sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 6 to 7 minutes, or until the onion are softened and lightly browned. Add the garlic, stir everything together, and cook until fragrant, about 30 to 60 seconds.
Add the ground turkey or chicken. Use a spatula or large spoon to break up the meat as it cooks. Continue to cook about 6 to 7 minutes, until fully cooked.
Add the beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, chili powder, cumin, salt, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), lime juice, and stir. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Enjoy with optional toppers, such as Greek yogurt or sour cream, chopped avocado, cilantro, and salsa.
Nutrition provided for 1 cup
Try this Three Bean Turkey Chili!