- Calories: 180
- Protein: 21 g
- Total Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 55 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 13 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4 g
- Total Sugar: 4 g
- Natural Sugar: 4 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 430 mg
This dish is super family-friendly. It’s a slow cooker recipe, so you simply dump the ingredients into your slow cooker in the morning and enjoy when you get home after a long day. It has a nice mild flavor, which makes it a terrific option for kids. (If you’d like to kick up the heat for more mature palates, simply add a dash of cayenne.) And it freezes well—I make a big batch so I can freeze leftovers for future meals.
Note: You can cut the chicken into small, bite-size pieces before tossing in the slow cooker or cut the breasts into larger chunks and shred when it’s done cooking, for a thick, hearty consistency. Either way, it’s amazing.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 1 can (13.5 ounces) lite coconut milk
- • 2 cans (14 ounces each) crushed or pureed tomatoes
- • 3 tablespoons curry powder
- • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- • 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks or small, bite-size pieces
- • 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- • 2 cans (14 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- • 3 cups cauliflower florets
- • 3 cups baby carrots
- • 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- • 3 cups frozen green peas (optional)
- • Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- • ¼ cup fresh minced cilantro (optional)
- • Nonfat plain Greek yogurt (optional)
In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together light coconut milk, tomatoes, curry powder, garlic powder, ground ginger and kosher salt.
Add chicken, onion, chickpeas, cauliflower and baby carrots. Mix everything thoroughly to coat in sauce.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Before serving, remove lid and add lemon juice and optional green peas. Stir and simmer uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes.
If you’d like to kick up the heat, season with a dash of cayenne.
Spoon into bowls and garnish with optional minced fresh cilantro and nonfat Greek yogurt. Enjoy plain or over brown rice.
Note: This recipe works well with small, bite-size chicken pieces or shredded chicken. If you’d like to make a version with shredded chicken, simply cut chicken breast into large chunks before tossing all ingredients into slow cooker. After everything is done cooking, using two forks, shred the chicken to create a hearty, satisfying stew. If you’d like a thicker sauce, simmer with the top off for an additional 30 minutes.
Nutrition analysis courtesy of Genesis® R&D