- Calories: 180
- Protein: 21 g
- Total Fat: 2.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 55 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 17 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4 g
- Total Sugar: 3 g
- Natural Sugar: 3 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 320 g
When it gets chilly outside, I love to make a big batch of chili so my family feels all warm and cozy on the inside. While I usually make a traditional tomato-based variety, today, I’m remixing my go-to, with a mean-green Chicken Chili with salsa verde. Salsa verde differs from traditional salsa because it’s made with tomatillos instead of red tomatoes. Tomatillos are typically more firm, and a bright, vibrant shade of green when ripe. And we can’t talk about chili without mentioning beans! I add a can of dark red kidney beans along with a can of white cannellini beans, but you can swap in any beans you have on hand to make it a filling and fibrous all-star dish. The prep is a breeze, it cooks with ease, freezes perfectly, and is sure to be a hit with your crew.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 2 to 3 cups of diced butternut squash, cut into ½-inch pieces or smaller*
- • 1 small yellow onion, finely diced (~½ cup)
- • 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- • ½ to 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced, (~1½ tablespoons)
- • 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa verde
- • 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- • 1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- • 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- • 1 bunch of scallions, sliced, green and white part)
- • 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro or parsley
- • Optional garnish: Greek yogurt, lite sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, finely sliced red onion, chopped avocado
*If starting with a whole butternut squash, it should weigh ~1½ to 2 pounds uncut, with skin and seeds.
Combine squash, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, salsa and broth in the bowl of your slow cooker. Give it a stir.
Add the cumin, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, and stir again so everything is well combined. Place chicken breasts on top and submerge so they are fully coated. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high setting for 4 hours or low setting for 8 hours.
30 minutes before it’s finished, remove the chicken to a plate and set aside. Stir in the beans, replace the lid. Let the beans simmer in the sauce while you shred the chicken.
To shred the chicken: Using 2 forks, shred all of the chicken breasts and return it to the pot. To give yourself more room on the plate, you can add each shredded breast back into the slow cooker as you complete it. Give the contents a really thorough stir, allowing the chicken to sop up all of the yummy liquid and ensuring everything is well mixed. Place the lid back on the slow cooker and let it continue cooking until your time is complete. Right before serving, stir in scallion and cilantro.
Serve with optional Greek yogurt, light sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, avocado and thinly sliced red onion.
Nutrition provided for 1 cup.
Try this Smoky Winter-White Bean Chili!