- Calories: 380
- Protein: 49 g
- Total Fat: 13 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 110 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 15 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3 g
- Total Sugar: 8 g
- Natural Sugar: 7 g
- Added Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 640 mg
In my house, taco night isn’t just reserved for Tuesdays— tacos are welcomed to the dinner table any night of the week. This pork variation is lower in sodium and packed with loads of delicious flavor thanks to the salt-free Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning. The spice blend offers just the right amount of heat and perfectly complements the sweet orange juice-marinated meat. The pork is lean and tender, and delectable in tacos or enjoyed by the forkful with some crunchy slaw. It’s a spec-taco-ular way to enjoy a Tex-Mex feast.
- Recipe notes:
• I used 2 medium tenderloins. The smaller tenderloins reduce the cooking time. Remove silver skin and cut visible fat off both pieces.
• The cooking time in the skillet will vary for the pork, depending on their sizes, but typically mine are ready to remove from the skillet between 50 and 60 minutes. It’s easiest to shred the tenderloins with your fingers versus a fork (after they slightly cool). They’re a bit too tough to shred using the fork method so don’t be afraid to jump in with hands!
• Optional coleslaw additions: Thinly sliced jicama, fresh cilantro, sweet bell pepper, radishes, pickled or fresh jalapeno. And really, you can play with the marinade and make it your own.
• The smoky spicy pork is balanced with the crunchy and tangy slaw. I highly recommend adding some avocado slices, as the cool and creamy texture finishes off the perfect bite.
- Prep time
- Total Time
Pork Carnitas Tacos
- • 2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each), trimmed of fat
- • 1 Tablespoon avocado or olive oil oil
- • 1½ to 2 Tablespoons Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend
- • 1 bay leaf, optional
- • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- • 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- • 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- • ½ cup orange juice
- • 1¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
- • 1½ Tablespoons lime juice
- • 1 Tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- • 1 Tablespoon light mayonnaise
- • 1 teaspoon honey
- • ½ teaspoon Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend
- • 1 bag (12 ounces) coleslaw mix
Optional serving suggestion
- • Sliced avocado, corn or flour tortillas
Pat pork tenderloin dry with a kitchen towel or paper towels. Sprinkle meat on all sides with Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning blend.
Add oil to a Dutch oven or deep skillet (choose one with a tight-fitting lid for later on) and warm over medium-high heat. Place tenderloins in skillet and brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
To the same heated skillet, add optional bay leaf, onion, garlic, orange juice, lime juice, and chicken broth. Stir to scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil and add pork back to skillet. Reduce the heat to low, cover pot and simmer tenderloins until tender, 50 to 60 minutes or until pork can easily shred.
Remove tenderloins from skillet and set it aside. (Continue simmering the broth over low heat, as the shredded pork will be going back into the skillet to mix with the yummy broth and onions). When tenderloin is cool enough to handle, shred meat into thin strips using fingers, and add back to the skillet to mix with reduced cooking liquid reserve.
NOTE: The pork can be enjoyed as is or you can broil (on a foil-lined baking sheet) in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes to create crispy bits. Serve with tortillas, slaw, and sliced avocado.
For the Slaw: In a large bowl whisk lime juice, avocado or olive oil, mayo, honey, and Dash seasoning. Add coleslaw mix and toss to evenly coat vegetables. Serve immediately on top of pork or cover and chill in the fridge for later.
Nutrition provided for 1 cup pork carnitas with ½ cup coleslaw; add 50 calories per 6″ diameter corn tortilla.
Try these Incredible Vegan Tacos!