- Calories: 146
- Protein: 6.5g
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 23g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Total Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 435mg
These tasty toasts are a cross between a grilled cheese sandwich and bruschetta. You can serve them as an appetizer at your next party, using whatever cheese and toppings you like or have in your fridge. For instance, you can just as easily make Cheddar Cheese Toasts with Spiced Tomato Chutney or Southern Pimento Cheese Toasts with Collard Greens and Caramelized Onions. Enjoy!
- Prep time
- Total Time
- ¼ cup packed baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup packed basil
- 4 cloves garlic (2 chopped, 2 reserved for toasts)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Juice of ¼ lemon (about 1½ teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 1 whole-wheat or multi-grain baguette (1 pound, 11 oz), cut diagonally into ½-inch-thick slices (about 30 slices)
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
FOR THE SPINACH AND BASIL PISTOU
In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, pulse spinach and basil leaves with garlic until finely chopped. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon and Parmesan and blend until smooth. Set aside.
(Makes about 1/3 cup)
FOR THE GARLIC TOASTS
Arrange the oven rack to right under the heat source, and preheat the oven to 400˚. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the slices of baguette on sheet. Spray with cooking spray and toast for 5 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Rub each slice lightly with the remaining cloves of garlic.
To assemble, place 1½ teaspoons of grated cheese on each slice of toast and place back in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until melted. Top each toast with ½ teaspoon pistou and serve.