- Calories: 150
- Protein: 8 g
- Total Fat: 1.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 28 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8 g
- Total Sugar: 9 g
- Natural Sugar: 9 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 750 mg
This soup is both soothing and health-enhancing, with its mix of beans, cruciferous vegetables (hello, broccoli and cauliflower!), leafy greens and seeds. Whip up a batch and enjoy not only its yummy flavor but its longevity-promoting ingredients with each delicious spoonful.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups reduced-sodium broth or stock, vegetable or chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup celery, chopped (about 2 celery stalks)
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 to 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 to 2 cups cauliflower florets, chopped
- 2 cups crushed tomato (canned)
- One 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 rosemary sprigs (removed later)
- 2 to 3 handfuls of fresh kale or spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Optional nuts and seeds, for garnish
In a blender, puree 1 can of white beans with 1 cup of broth. Set aside.
Liberally coat a skillet with oil spray and warm over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients (except kale or spinach): celery, carrots, chicken broth, broccoli, cauliflower, dried oregano, dried basil, stewed tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, the second can of beans, rosemary sprigs, salt. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
Remove rosemary sprigs. Add the broth/white bean mixture and kale or spinach, stir, then simmer for another 10 minutes, or until kale/spinach is soft. Add additional salt and pepper to taste and top each serving with a sprinkling of optional chopped nuts and/or pumpkin seeds.
Nutrition provided for 1 cup.
For a refreshing sip that can add years to your life, try my Longevity Smoothie!
Nutrition analysis courtesy of Genesis® R&D