- Calories: 490
- Protein: 38 g
- Total Fat: 12 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 90 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 62 g
- Dietary Fiber: 9 g
- Total Sugar: 16 g
- Natural Sugar: 16 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 330 mg
As we layer up for cooler weather, we’re packing our appetites with hearty bowls of goodness. Enter Harvest Bowl 101: scrumptious mounds of nourishing greens, grains, seasonal produce, and protein-packed sustenance. This bowl is the epitome of the season: its beautiful hues match the fall foliage, it’s made with wholesome ingredients, and each bite brings savory-sweet, crisp, crunchy goodness… and a cornucopia of nutrients. Plus, this bowl is fully customizable—all you have to do is follow this 5-step formula:
- STEP 1: Leafy green base—choose 2 cups chopped spring mix lettuce, kale, mesclun, arugula, or spinach.
- STEP 2: Grains—choose ¾ cup cooked quinoa, brown or wild rice, faro, barley, bulgar, whole-grain noodles, or veggie rice.
- STEP 3: Roasted veggies—choose Brussels sprouts, onion, sweet potato, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, or squash.
- STEP 4: Fruit—choose sliced apple, pear or sliced grapes, or 2 Tbsps raisins, dried cranberries, or pomegranate seeds.
- STEP 5: Protein—choose chicken, salmon, eggs, chickpeas, tofu, tempeh, or lentils.
- Extras: Nuts, seeds, avocado, dressing, cheese
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 2 sweet potatoes, cut into small chunks
- • 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- • 1 red onion, chopped
- • 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried), optional
- • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- • 2 to 3 cups chopped leafy greens (spring lettuce mix, kale, spinach, arugula, etc.)
- • ¾ cup cooked quinoa or wild rice
- • ½ apple or pear, sliced or chopped
- • 3 ounces cooked chicken breast, sliced/chopped
- • 2-4 Tablespoons almond slivers, toasted pecans, walnuts or pistachios, pumpkin seeds, optional
- • Balsamic or lemon vinaigrette dressing, optional
Note: This recipe makes about 5 servings of roasted veggies— perfect for future bowls or scrumptious dinner sides.
To roast vegetables: Preheat oven to 425. Mist one or two baking sheets with nonstick olive oil spray and add veggies in single layer. Generously mist the tops with additional olive oil spray (alternatively you can toss in 1 to 2 Tbsp EVOO from bottle) and sprinkle on the salt, pepper and optional thyme. Roast in oven on middle rack for 25 minutes, or until veggies are soft and caramelized. You should have some burnt brussels sprout leaves (they’re extra delicious this way).
To assemble Harvest Bowl: Spread the chopped leafy green on the bottom of a single-serve wide bowl. Create pretty sections on top, by layering on the quinoa, roasted veggies, sliced apple or pear, and chicken. Sprinkle your optional extras on top and drizzle on dressing.
Try this Superfood Salad!