- Calories: 110
- Protein: 1g
- Total Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.5g
- Total Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 100mg
A HUGE thank you to Shauna Havey from Roy, Utah for this delicious bite-size dessert recipe. It was featured on the TODAY show for the apple edition of “Too Good To Be Healthy” and the hosts fell in love…immediately!
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 8 mini “Fillo” shells (freezer section of any grocery store)
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 large Granny Smith Apples, diced small
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salted butter
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Juice of fresh orange (about ⅓ cup), reserve 1 tablespoon for glaze
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 slice dense whole-wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- pinch ground cinnamon
- Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped for garnish (optional)
FOR THE GLAZE:
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
To make the filling:
Heat a skillet to medium and add all of the filling ingredients. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and allow to cook for about 10 minutes (or until the fruit is tender and the filling is thick).
To make the topping:
Pulse the bread in a food processor to make crumbs. Then, toast the crumbs over medium heat in a dry skillet for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly toasted.
Slowly stir in the melted butter. And finally, add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Combine well, turn off the heat, and set aside.
To make the glaze:
Combine the powdered sugar, reserved tablespoon of orange juice, and the zest. Mix until smooth.
Evenly distribute the filling among the 8 pastry cups and divide the crumb topping over each as well.
Place the cups onto a cookie sheet and set under the broiler for about 3 minutes to brown the topping.
Remove from oven and finish off with a drizzle of the orange glaze. Garnish with fresh thyme if desired.
Craving more apple-cinnamon flavored yumminess? Try Cinn-Sational, a healthy and delicious snack made with dried Fuji apples and cinnamon-dusted almonds!