- Calories: 300
- Protein: 28g
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 33g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Natural Sugar: 7g
- Added Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 605mg
This incredibe green chili was featured on the Too Good to Be Healthy cook-off on the TODAY show, and the hosts absolutely loved it. Whip up a pot today.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded
- 8 medium Anaheim peppers, seeded and halved
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 pounds tomatillos, paper-like skins removed, washed and quartered
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (about 4 cups)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 diced avocados (optional)
- 1 bunch sliced scallions (optional)
In a large (14-cup) food processor, chop onion and garlic.
In a large Dutch oven, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and sauté until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
In the same food processor, chop jalapeño peppers and Anaheim peppers. Set aside.
Add salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, chili powder and oregano to the Dutch oven, and continue to sauté for 1 minute. Add the chopped peppers into the Dutch oven.
In the same food processor, chop tomatillos and add them to Dutch oven.
Stir in the vegetable broth, lime juice and crushed tortilla chips. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
Near the end of the cooking time, turn up the heat to medium and add the beans, chicken and cilantro. Simmer for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, just until heated through.
Serve the chili in individual bowls topped with diced avocado, a squeeze of lime juice and sprinkle of scallions, if using.