- Calories: 240
- Protein: 17 g
- Total Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 25 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 32 g
- Dietary Fiber: 6 g
- Total Sugar: 5 g
- Natural Sugar: 5 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 460 mg
This delectable soup is jam-packed with flavor, protein, and loads of colorful veggies (think bell peppers, carrots, onions, celery and fire-roasted diced tomatoes). While this recipe tastes amazing straight from the pot, my family thinks it’s even better the next day once all the herbs and spices have had a chance to mix and mingle. Right before serving, top each bowl with crispy tortilla strips plus an assortment of your go-to garnishes: chopped cilantro, scallions, shredded cheese, diced avocado, Greek yogurt, sliced jalapeños—choose your own (soup) adventure!
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- • 1 medium red onion, diced (~1½ cups)
- • 2 medium bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange), diced (~2 cups)
- • 1 medium carrot, diced (~½ cup)
- • 1 stalk celery, diced (~½ cup)
- • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- • 1½ tablespoons mild chili powder
- • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- • 1 teaspoon paprika
- • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- • 2 cans (14½ ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- • 1 cup plain or fire-roasted sweet corn, optional
- • ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- • Freshly ground black pepper
- • 3 packed cups cooked, shredded white meat chicken*
*I either use leftover cooked chicken breasts and cut it into small pieces, or I buy a rotisserie chicken, remove the skin and shred the meat.
Optional Soup Toppings
- • 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- • 4 to 5 radishes thinly sliced
- • 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- • 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
- • 1 avocado, diced
Crispy Baked Tortillas Strips
- • 8 corn tortillas, halved and sliced into thin strips
- • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- • ½ teaspoon mild chili powder
- • ¼ to ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Soup: In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat (or liberally mist with olive oil spray). Add the diced onion, bell pepper, carrots, and celery. Sauté for about 7 minutes or until vegetables start to soften and onions become translucent. Stir frequently to prevent burning and add additional oil spray if needed. Add the minced garlic and dried spices, stir and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, and beans. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove cover. Add the shredded chicken, optional corn, and stir to combine. Place the cover back on, and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Serve soup with optional toppings and crispy tortilla strips.
For the Crispy Tortilla Strips: Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl combine the sliced tortilla strips, oil, spices, and salt. Toss until everything is well combined. Spread evenly on a lined baking sheet (or misted with oil). Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, stirring halfway through, until they’re light golden brown and crispy. As tortillas cool, they will crisp up even more.
Nutrition provided for 1½ cup of soup topped with crispy tortilla strips.
Try this Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo!