- Calories: 390
- Protein: 51g
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 145mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Total Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 685mg
Looking for something a little more exotic for dinner? Try this spicy Indian dish, which will delight your taste buds. Simply pop everything in the slow cooker and let it work it’s magic as the complex flavors seep into the juicy chicken. Serve it up with brown rice and a quick cucumber salad—yum!
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- • 1 onion, diced
- • 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- • 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, minced (about 1½ tablespoons)
- • ¾ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- • 1 tablespoon garam masala
- • 1 tablespoon madras curry powder
- • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- • 1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- • 1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk
- • Cilantro for garnish, optional
Cut the chicken into large chunks and place into a slow cooker.
Spray a medium non-stick pan with oil spray and place over medium heat. Once hot, sauté the onion, garlic, ginger and salt for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garam masala, curry powder, red pepper flakes and tomato paste and sauté for another 3 to 5 minutes. Add to the chicken in the slow cooker along with the crushed tomatoes. Stir everything to evenly combine, and set slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
After 3½ hours, stir in the coconut milk and cook for the remaining 30 minutes uncovered so the sauce can reduce slightly. Add cilantro for garnish just before serving.