- Calories: 190
- Protein: 27 g
- Total Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 85 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1 g
- Total Sugar: 2 g
- Natural Sugar: 2 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 200 mg
This recipe is a low-carb spin on classic bruschetta—it’s packed with all the flavors you love and crave but served on a tender, protein-rich chicken breast that is simply seasoned and grilled (or baked!) to perfection. From juicy, fresh Roma tomatoes to aromatic basil and ooey-gooey mozzarella cheese, this dish boasts gourmet deliciousness and is ready in just 15 minutes. After topping your poultry, you will have some bruschetta left over, but trust me, it’s deliberate. Enjoy it on the side, with crunchy pita chips, or stash it in the fridge to toss it in omelets or salads the next day.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 4 to 6 thin chicken breasts *
- • 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- • ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- • 5 Roma or plum tomatoes, finely chopped (~4 cups)
- • ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- • 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- • ¼ cup minced fresh basil leaves
- • 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- • 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- • 4 to 6 slices mozzarella cheese, optional
* If you buy large, thicker chicken breast, slice them lengthwise (aka butterfly them) and pound them thin (using your fist or a mallet between parchment paper.)
In a large bowl, add the chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Mix to combine, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Stash in fridge to chill until ready to serve.
Liberally mist a skillet (or outdoor grill) with nonstick oil spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, mist tops with oil spray and sprinkle on the Italian seasoning and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (or until internal temp reaches 165°.) If you’d like melted cheese, add a slice of mozzarella on each chicken cutlet after you flip to the second side. Place a lid over the skillet (or close the BBQ lid) to enable the cheese to melt faster.
Once the chicken is ready and the cheese, if desired, is melted, top each cutlet with ~½ cup bruschetta before serving.
Note: you can also bake the seasoned chicken breasts in the oven at 375° for 12-15 minutes.
Nutrition provided for bruschetta chicken without cheese. With melted cheese, each serving is 250 calories and 32g protein.
Extra bruschetta? Add some to your Kitchen-Sink Omelet in a Mug!