- Calories: 220
- Protein: 4g
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 42g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 195mg
Kids flip for these healthy muffins! Creamy mashed bananas supply plenty of moisture, so there’s no need to add a lot of extra fat. Using half whole wheat flour bumps up the fiber and a sprinkling of dark chocolate chips make them extra delicious!
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • ¼ cup whipped butter (or trans-fat free soft tub spread)
- • 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- • 1 whole egg
- • 1 egg white
- • 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- • 1 cup all-purpose flour
- • ¾ cup brown sugar (packed)
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- • ½ cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Coat a standard 12-cup muffin pan with oil spray.
In a large bowl, cream together the soft tub spread, mashed bananas, egg, egg white, milk, and vanilla extract.
In a medium bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Sprinkle the flour mixture over the banana mixture and fold together until the ingredients are just combined. Be careful not to overmix — the batter will be slightly lumpy.
Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Evenly divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
Bake the muffins on the middle oven rack for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before carefully removing the muffins from the pan. Cool completely.
Serving Size: 1 muffin