- Calories: 250
- Protein: 12 g
- Total Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 5 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 44 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7 g
- Total Sugar: 33 g
- Natural Sugar: 29 g
- Added Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 50 mg
These “doughnuts” make for a tasty and fun-tastic breakfast. Plus, they’re most definitely kid-approved. Pick your preferred “sprinkles” combinations; each one is packed with nutrition and a whole lot of goodness.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 1 large apple
- Dash of apple pie spice or any combo of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (optional)
- ½ cup nonfat or low-fat vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt*
- One of the following sprinkle combinations:
- • 1 tablespoon crushed almonds (raw or roasted) + ¼ cup blueberries
- • ¼ cup blueberries + 1 tablespoon shredded coconut flakes
- • 1 tablespoon crushed almonds (raw or roasted) + 1 tablespoon sunflower or pumpkin seeds (unshelled)
Use an apple corer to remove the center of the apple. Slice apple sideways into about ¾-inch thick slices. (If you don’t have an apple corer, you can slice the apple into ¾-inch thick slices and use pastry tip to make a hole in the center of each slice.)
Top each “doughnut” slice with a spread of Greek yogurt and sprinkle on a dash of optional spices. Add your preferred topping combination evenly among all slices.
*In place of vanilla Greek yogurt, you can also use ½ cup part-skim ricotta and top with ¼ cup blueberries.
Note: Nutrition is based on crushed almonds and blueberries. Numbers will vary slightly with other topping combinations, but all weigh in with less than 300 calories and provide at least 11 grams protein and 7 grams of fiber.
Nutrition analysis courtesy of Genesis® R&D