- Calories: 305
- Protein: 14g
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 56g
- Dietary Fiber: 13g
- Natural Sugar: 10g
- Added Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 800mg
Vegans (and beef buffs) rejoice! You won’t even miss the meat in this delicious chili. Abigail Widynski submitted this gem for the Too Good to Be Healthy cook-off on the TODAY Show, and it was a huge hit with the hosts. Give it shot on a Meatless Monday…or any day of the week, really.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- • 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- • ½ cup julienned red pepper
- • ½ cup julienned carrots
- • 1 cup sliced mushrooms, optional
- • 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- • 32 ounces reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- • 1 can (~16 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- • 1 can (~16 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- • 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
- • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- • ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- • Pinch of baking soda (1/8th teaspoon)
- • 1 ripe avocado, sliced, optional
- • Nonfat plain Greek yogurt, optional
Liberally coat a large nonstick sauce pan with oil spray and warm over high heat. Sauté onion, pepper, carrots, optional mushrooms, and garlic until onions become translucent. Reduce heat to medium.
Slowly add vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans and quinoa. Stir mixture and add chili powder, mustard, cocoa powder and baking soda.
Stir and simmer 25 minutes, covered, until quinoa has finished cooking.
Ladle into bowls. Add a slice of avocado and a dollop of Greek yogurt, if desired.