- Calories: 349
- Protein: 30g
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 36g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Sodium: 450mg
The three varieties of beans add a lot of color and of course a ton of fiber and nutrition. You can serve it with a whole array of garnishes — reduced-fat cheese, light sour cream, cilantro, avocado, scallions, even crushed tortilla chips.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey (at least 90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 12 ounces beer (lager)
- 1 twenty-eight-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 twenty-eight-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely minced (plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from the can)
- 1 fifteen-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 fifteen-ounce can no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 fifteen-ounce can no-salt-added Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, until the paste has dried out, about 3 minutes.
Add the turkey, oregano, and chili powder, and sauté until the turkey is browned, about 5 minutes. Add the beer and cook until the beer is reduced by half.
Add the tomatoes, chipotle chilies and adobo sauce, beans, salt and pepper. Bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
Optional garnishes: cilantro, scallions, avocado, light sour cream, reduced-fat cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips