- Calories: 55
- Protein: 3 g
- Total Fat: 1.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 8 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0 g
- Total Sugar: 1 g
- Natural Sugar: 1 g
- Added Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 200 mg
These poppers are scrumptious, satisfying, super spicy and 100% vegan. They make a perfect snack or appetizer. If you can’t handle the heat, feel free to substitute paprika in place of cayenne pepper. Best of all, they’re only about 27 calories a “pop!” Dig in.
- Prep time
- Total Time
- 6 tablespoons prepared hummus
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion (green onion)
- ⅓ cup corn, frozen and thawed (or canned, drained well)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or paprika for less heat)
- 6 Jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds and membranes removed (for extra heat, keep membranes in)
- ⅓ cup Panko bread crumbs*
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 350˚.
In a small bowl, mix hummus, scallion, corn, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Spoon generous amount of hummus mix into the hollowed out pepper.
In another small bowl, mix panko bread crumbs, chili powder, kosher salt and cayenne pepper. Dunk the hummus side of each pepper into the seasoned panko mix so there’s a generous amount of coating on each pepper top. If there’s any leftover, you can distribute among the pepper tops to use up all of the panko bread crumbs.
Place stuffed peppers (cut side up) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, liberally mist tops with olive oil spray, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The bread crumbs should be browned and toasty. Let cool for a few minutes, and dig in!
A serving is 2 poppers
* Use dairy-free panko breadcrumbs for vegan poppers.
Nutrition analysis courtesy of Genesis® R&D